Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was .
 
   >> Go to BlackboardHomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Multi

avatar

Posts : 147
Join date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:06 am

Okay, new idea:

This human colony gets attacked by aliens that jam their broadcasts. The aliens broadcast absolutely horrible movies from public TV from the 70s to the 20s. The robots feel compelled to make fun of these movies in order to keep the humans from going insane from watching such horrible movies. briliant huh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Multi

avatar

Posts : 147
Join date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:07 am

Andrea Ferris wrote:

going insane from what? the movies? if they are showing the movies and making fun of them to keep humans from being insane from something else, what do these robots define as insane? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Multi

avatar

Posts : 147
Join date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:08 am

I made the original post more clear by saying the humans are going insane cause the movies are so bad. So, the robots try to make fun of the movies (robot comedy) in order to keep the humans from being harmed.

It's just a joke, don't worry about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzS7u_O94eE&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ScH8Rb9N80&feature=related
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Multi

avatar

Posts : 147
Join date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:10 am

Dya Cangiano wrote:

So, speaking of Junk Pyle and his mad MacGyver-like skills...we still have to work on a plot for it. What if...the more sophisticated robots on the mining facility actually HELPED the aliens take over the station, because they felt that it was more logical and it would prevent any humans (who they must protect according to the 1st law of robotics) from being harmed? Just an idea, not sure what's going to happen with our story since it's soooooo out there Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Multi

avatar

Posts : 147
Join date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:11 am

Stephen Crane wrote:

I like this idea. Something along the lines of if they cooperate, the humans won't be harmed (classic hostage situation). But perhaps Mr. Pyle, as he was cleaning the air ducts or something, overhead the aliens plotting to just kill the humans because they were taking too much effort to take care of. The more advanced robots won't listen to Junk Pyle because he is less advanced, so he is forced to take things into his own hands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Multi

avatar

Posts : 147
Join date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:11 am

whoa! Stephen these are robots! I thought you'd be the last person to suggest that these robots have dynamic personalities. Don't say that one robot won't believe another because it was made inferior. That's horrible programming.

Personally, I still vote that the robots survive the scout's attack because these biological aliens only attack organic beings. The robots survive because they aren't organic. Then (if you guys would let me get away with it) the robots desguise themselves as humans and infiltrate the government so they can prepare for the real invasion.

Now if we really wanted this to be a real story we'd try to combine our two ideas and try to make sense of the connections between things seemingly unconnectable. For example: Where does Junk Pyle fit into this attack? Why are the more advanced robots unable/won't fight?

Voting status of authors (to my knowledge):

Chris and I vote for the bio alien attack

Nishel, Dya vote for the character development of junk pyle and his sidekick pen

Stephen is flip-flopping Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Multi

avatar

Posts : 147
Join date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:12 am

Nishel Baswell wrote:

Daniel, during class you were getting irritated with Stephen and I for not making a story that sounded realistic enough. While the biological aliens attacking the colony with organic seeking weapons seems realistic enough, INFILTRATING THE WORLD BY PRETENDING TO BE HUMAN IS NOT. Besides it has been done, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many times before.

The other problem with your story is that you seem to think these aliens would be so good at pretending to be human that they would actually succeed in ruling the world sometime. That this is a ridiculous theory. If you think about it, aliens would want to hide, maintain the status quo, and gather information for the armada when it arrives. They would not just show up, assume prestigous identities (which would be one of the few ways of actually gaining power in the world), fall into place perfectly with humanity so that no one suspects (as if a loss of communication for an extended period of time with the colony that provides vital resources for their economy would not be a dead give away that something was wrong). They are going to be slow on the uptake of human mannerisms kind of like Mork in "Mork and Mindy." You claim that character development bogs down the story but jumping head long into a confusing story with guns literally blazing makes for an anticlimactic story that rivals the stupidist of Quintin Terintino flixs. When the people involved in the creation of the story are more confused than the ones attempting to read it, there is a problem. If you want to make this story successful, you need to add a little more explanation, (not necessarily character development since our characters are unfeeling robots incapable of indepth character).

If you want to make the story float, ditch the impersonation facade and hit something more realistic and believable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Multi

avatar

Posts : 147
Join date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:17 am

What we need is conflict for our short story.

Then we can make characters with traits and see how they handle it. A robot can have character traits, but not in the same way as humans. I still think that we need good characters for humans too, so that when they all die the story will actually mean something to the reader.

I want to see where this story goes if we just see how the characters we make would respond to the situation. That's all I want to try. It's not like I need to make this story my own. I'm just trying to improve my writing skills and have fun with my friends.

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dya Cangiano



Posts : 17
Join date : 2008-04-14
Location : Anywhere But Here

PostSubject: Re: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:14 pm

I have to agree with Daniel and he makes a good point: the story needs conflict. Unfortunately,all the conflict that we should be channelling into this story is stuck at the very beginning level. I don't know how many of us are actually doing this story for the actual project, but I know that Nishel, probably Daniel, and I are not. So, may I suggest that we either do this story for fun, or each take a different aspect/portion of the story and work on it individually so that there is less clash. Just a suggestion. I think the story could be a lot of fun and evolve into something quite amusing, but that's only if all of us can agree on a sound basis for the story and work on specifics later. bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stephen



Posts : 22
Join date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Daniel Miller wrote:
whoa! Stephen these are robots! I thought you'd be the last person to suggest that these robots have dynamic personalities. Don't say that one robot won't believe another because it was made inferior. That's horrible programming.

Why not? IF these robots are really smart enough to be artificially intelligent, they would probably develop these traits. I reference Asimov's Liar! and the link to the article that Vicente posted on the old board.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wind

avatar

Posts : 77
Join date : 2008-04-15
Location : Everywhere in some form or another.

PostSubject: Re: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Stephen wrote:
Daniel Miller wrote:
whoa! Stephen these are robots! I thought you'd be the last person to suggest that these robots have dynamic personalities. Don't say that one robot won't believe another because it was made inferior. That's horrible programming.

Why not? IF these robots are really smart enough to be artificially intelligent, they would probably develop these traits. I reference Asimov's Liar! and the link to the article that Vicente posted on the old board.

Definitely agree. A truly intelligent robot would be able to question sources and validity of information the same way humans can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens   

Back to top Go down
 
Junk Pyle and the Bio Aliens
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Jacks Junk yard
» Hollands Junk Yard finds
» Badass Club Junk yard Day
» Quick/Debris[Junk-Doppel]Dandy-Draw
» junk doppel :) wad to put for extra deck ?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion :: The Story Factory :: Group Stories-
Jump to: