Literature of Science Fiction Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was Wed Dec 31, 1969.

>> Go to BlackboardHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Ship Who Sang

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
spleahy

The Ship Who Sang Empty
PostSubject: The Ship Who Sang   The Ship Who Sang Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 3:55 pm

I really enjoyed the concept of this story and the ideas behind it. When a human brain is put inside a robotic shell is it still human? I feel that this question goes along with the idea that robots can be just as good as a friend as a human would. I believe this to be true because this brain still has emotions and still has feeling regardless of its shell.
Back to top Go down
Aik Roy Heng

The Ship Who Sang Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ship Who Sang   The Ship Who Sang Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Does anyone apart from me noted/found it suspicious that the two stories from VoW that we're supposed to read this week are related to love, more specifically love between human-lined androids/ships and full human beings? Hmmmm...........
Back to top Go down
TheDirector

The Ship Who Sang Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ship Who Sang   The Ship Who Sang Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 5:50 pm

Suspicious in what way?

John Edlund
Back to top Go down
aitokunaga

The Ship Who Sang Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ship Who Sang   The Ship Who Sang Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:02 am

Not suspicious really, but eerily coincidental?
Back to top Go down
Aik Roy Heng

The Ship Who Sang Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ship Who Sang   The Ship Who Sang Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Yeah....Not suspicious, but coincidental. LOL perhaps Dr. Edlund's anniversary or his wife's birthday is coming up thus the love themed readings....but either way I just wanted to say that this was a very good story. I have not come across a story that moved me so much in a long long time, and the fact that this story is relatively short makes it all the better.

"she watched as Jennan fought for his breath, as he turned his head beseechingly towards her, and died"

That part absolutely moved me. After all is said and done though, I can't help but feel bloody angry at those nuns. Bad enough that they procrastinated so much, wasting precious time before the Sun flared, but one of them was actively involved in Jennan's death. And now Helva will be perpetually in pain and anguish over the loss of him, all over one stupid action.
Back to top Go down
aitokunaga

The Ship Who Sang Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ship Who Sang   The Ship Who Sang Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 10:32 am

I actually teared up while reading that scene. I'm such a girl! I wonder if the girl whose arm hit the power pack knew she accidently caused Jennan's death and if so, if she felt guilty for it for the rest of her life. Because it would really suck if she didn't.
Back to top Go down
Multi

Multi

The Ship Who Sang Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ship Who Sang   The Ship Who Sang Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 8:22 am

You mean the rest of her very very short life?
Back to top Go down
aitokunaga

The Ship Who Sang Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ship Who Sang   The Ship Who Sang Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 4:28 am

Wait, I thought she made it out safely, didn't she?
Back to top Go down
Multi

Multi

The Ship Who Sang Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ship Who Sang   The Ship Who Sang Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 7:54 am

aitokunaga wrote:
I'm such a girl! I wonder if the girl whose arm hit the power pack knew she accidently caused Jennan's death and if so, if she felt guilty for it for the rest of her life. Because it would really suck if she didn't.

You were talking about the women that killed Jennan by shorting out the power pack. She died when Jennan died.
Back to top Go down
aitokunaga

The Ship Who Sang Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ship Who Sang   The Ship Who Sang Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 1:42 am

huh. guess I need to reread that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Ship Who Sang Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ship Who Sang   The Ship Who Sang Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ship Who Sang
Page 1 of 1