Literature of Science Fiction Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was Wed Dec 31, 1969.

>> Go to BlackboardHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Hare and the Tortoise

Go down 
+6
spleahy
Theophania
aitokunaga
Aik Roy Heng
TheDirector
Vicente
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
amandaheise

The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hare and the Tortoise   The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 12:48 pm

How is tortoise and the hare racist? I can see it as being some kinda of African-American tale but i dont see it as a white man making fun ot it
Back to top Go down
TheDirector

PostSubject: Re: The Hare and the Tortoise   The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 9:15 pm

Not the tortoise and the hare. The Uncle Remus stories, including "Brer' Rabbit and the Tar Baby."

John Edlund
Back to top Go down
Aik Roy Heng

PostSubject: Re: The Hare and the Tortoise   The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

I know what you're talking about Dr. Edlund. When I was young, I often read Enid Blyton's books, which always had toys bickering with one another as themes. As she was British, she would always portray the wooden soldiers, illustrated to be exactly like the guards outside of Buckingham's Palace complete with the tall hats as heroes, and they would be inevitably possessing white features, tall and handsome. The enemy of the toys, generally portrayed to be unpleasant, jealous and conniving, would be just as inevitably a Golliwog, black and having ugly features such as torn clothes or a button as a flat, rather unattractive nose.

Ahhhh, racism prevalent even in children's book. Dumbo was also apparently a very racist cartoon.

On a lighter note, I've finally updated my story, so comments and feedback please? Sorry Vicente for using your forum board to hawk my story LOL.
Back to top Go down
Dya Cangiano

PostSubject: Re: The Hare and the Tortoise   The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 9:12 pm

Hey Vicente, this is a late addition, but I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your take on the tortoise and the hare and their possible "rematch." You've got a great writing style that's fun to read and very witty, I look forward to reading some more of your work in the future Smile Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
Vicente

PostSubject: Re: The Hare and the Tortoise   The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 10:38 pm

Okay guys, fair warning:

We’re drawing near this story’s climax. Bold, shocking truths are revealed and our heroes unwittingly find themselves pitted against impossible odds. The following narration is rife with graphic violence, mild animal cruelty, suggestive content, and bunnies. Reader discretion is advised.

Tortoise stopped. The forest had gone silent. No leaf dared to rustle; every insect, every sign of life in this forest had completely –

A flurry of fluffy and dangerous darted across the path in front of him.

Tortoise blinked. Hare?

“Hare!”

The flurry stopped and turned to stare at him.

Oh shi-

“TORTOISE!” Hare screamed with relief and raced back towards him. The dark mass of cute and evil followed in hot pursuit.

Tortoise was already two inches from where he was several seconds ago. “Only you, Hare,” he muttered bitterly to himself, “I didn’t even want to race - this wasn’t even my idea. Why ninjas? Come on, Hare, why bunny ninjas? Of all the stupid, unbelievable –“ he abruptly found himself flying over the ground, the patchwork of roots, dirt and grass beneath him a dark blur.

“Man, you’re heavy.”

“I’m gonna be sick.”

“Tortoise, we’ve got to lose these guys. Any ideas?”

“Bait! You be bait!”

“No.”

“Geez, Hare, wasn’t this supposed to be a race?”

“We’re racing, aren’t we?”

“That’s not what I meant!”

“Hey, we can discuss this later. Right now we have to- crap.”

Some large metallic structure blocked their path. It looked like a large crow with its wings outstretched, except the size of Germany.
Back to top Go down
Vicente

PostSubject: Re: The Hare and the Tortoise   The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 11:05 pm

Thanks for the backinfo, professor.

Roy - no problem. Share the wealth, I always say >=P

And Dya, thanks.

Looks like this story might become longer than I expected. Two or three more posts before finishing, maybe? My characters keep getting themselves into all sorts of trouble.
Back to top Go down
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: The Hare and the Tortoise   The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 2:01 am

Ooh. What happens next? Update soon please.
This story is so funny and adorable (and scary coming up?)!
Back to top Go down
J.Castillo

PostSubject: Re: The Hare and the Tortoise   The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 3:04 pm

Robot ninja bunnies! Wow, this is exciting give us more!
Back to top Go down
TheDirector

PostSubject: Re: The Hare and the Tortoise   The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 9:34 pm

How about clockwork cockroaches to battle the ninja bunnies?

John Edlund
Back to top Go down
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: The Hare and the Tortoise   The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 2:45 am

What about Puss-in-Boots? Cinderella's mice? The three blind mice--Daredevil-ninja style? The frog prince? Bugs Bunny? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hare and the Tortoise   The Hare and the Tortoise - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Hare and the Tortoise
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion :: The Story Factory :: Individual Story Threads-
Jump to: