Literature of Science Fiction Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was Wed Dec 31, 1969.

>> Go to BlackboardHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Karellen

Go down 
+9
Wind
TheDirector
Multi
Stephen
spleahy
Denise
J.Castillo
Vicente
Theophania
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Theophania

Theophania

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 2:21 am

Did you guys expect Karellen to be what he is? What did you think he was? Speculate on what his and the Overlords' motives may be.

Evil or Very Mad scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.csupomona.edu/~tiffanyychen/stream/
Vicente

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 5:00 pm

I thought they were going to be giant, talking onions - I was speculating that maybe they were too afraid to show themselves at first for fear of being boiled alive and served in humongous stew pots.

But now that we have a more concrete picture of what they resemble, it seems weird to me that Clarke deliberately wants us, as readers, to subconsciously hold their motives in suspicion. Our emotional reactions are inevitable considering he chose the Overlords to physically resemble devils.
Back to top Go down
J.Castillo

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 8:10 pm

I never thought that he would look similar to a devil. It is a perfect fit and it makes sense why the overlords waited so long to reveal themselves. Maybe the last time they tried, they tried to force the humans into doing what they wanted, and thats why they failed. That is why humans already had the image of the devil. And maybe in past angels saved them, I guess we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Denise

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 9:33 pm

...I didn't expect the devil resemblance... I mean, I originally was skeptical that the Overlords wanted to just help and that's it. I thought they had an ulterior motive, but even then I saw in my head a more typical green alien type creature, not something as dramatic as a devil. hahah.
Back to top Go down
spleahy

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 4:10 pm

I definately expected something less ominous for sure. I thought of him as being very non threatening most likely something fuzzy...boy was I off haha.
Back to top Go down
Stephen

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 11:44 am

The idea of a devil like creature came completely out of the blue for me. I was thinking along the lines that there was no physical body to the overlords and they were just computers, so of course they couldn't show themselves. Now that we've seen them, I have even stronger doubts about their motives. Apparently humans have already been in contact with them and it didn't turn out so well. Why? Perhaps the overlords didn't disguise their motives well enough and humans figured out what they were trying to do. There's got to be some reason for humans' fear and hate of devils, if they really interacted with them, right? So maybe the devils are smarter now, but just as evil in the end and we don't know it yet.
Back to top Go down
Multi

Multi

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 1:24 pm

I didn't suspect he'd look like a great big devil either. It is surprising. I just hope Clark doesn't take this developement and turn it into something way far out there. The story is either going to be really good, or horrible at this point. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Theophania

Theophania

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 4:06 pm

It's funny because I had read the foreword and the part about how Clarke had based Childhood's End on his short story entitled "Guardian Angel." And up until the part about the horns and black skin/wings I was almost convinced that the Overlords were angels because the first aspect of Karellen to be described were his wings.

So yeah, I either thought Karellen was an Angel (which was the complete opposite!)... or a Dinosaur (because the overlords had once walked the Earth before) lol. alien
Back to top Go down
http://www.csupomona.edu/~tiffanyychen/stream/
TheDirector

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 6:27 pm

Of course, Satan is a fallen angel, so you are not far off.

John Edlund
Back to top Go down
Wind

Wind

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Nice one.
Back to top Go down
amandaheise

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 5:36 pm

I thought the Overloards would me something small and innocent looking, like some kind of a bug or small animal. I like that Clarke made them look like the devil because it kind of added something more to the story and made it more interesting.
Back to top Go down
kevinlb

kevinlb

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 11:43 pm

I thought that they were dragons or angels at first, because of the past failure they talked about. But what was really interesting was the twist that the book took at the end. Telling us that Karellen and his people are not as great as us because of their limitations of their minds. Even though they have so much, they can never be apart of the greater being. if that is a good thing or not is not known to me.
All in all, it was a good book. 4/5 points study
Back to top Go down
Wind

Wind

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 12:15 am

AH! Spoilers!

But it's my fault for not having it finished yet.

>=(
Back to top Go down
aitokunaga

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 12:46 am

Stephen wrote:
I was thinking along the lines that there was no physical body to the overlords and they were just computers, so of course they couldn't show themselves.

I thought so, too. Either that or maybe they were invisible or something. But then I realized later what Clarke was talking about in his prologue about the supernatural or paranormal when he described the Overlords. I was like, "Ooohh. I get it." Shocked
Back to top Go down
Andrea F

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 8:15 am

The explanations in this book frustrate me, because they don't straight out tell you what you are confused on. They make you think, which is their purpose, I guess, and probably the reason I liked this book. "its a gift, and a curse" oh well.

But anyways, one thing I was confused on was their final explanation of why humans throughout history feard them. Their "fear not being bound by time" theory seemed a bit too much of a leap, but after some thought, it works with the story. But was that the only explanation, or were the overloards on earth before. Did the book actually say something about them being on earth before, or did we just assume that since the image of the devil is shown throughout our history? scratch
Back to top Go down
TheDirector

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 8:22 am

I have read this book many times and I don't think that Clarke is clear on this point. However, the themes of this book are similar to Clarke's other work. 2001, after all, is also about advanced aliens we never see interfering with the course of human development.

John Edlund
Back to top Go down
spleahy

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 8:25 am

Yes it did actually. Not straight forward but Karellen did say that there were several failures before and he stressed that they couldn't reveal themselfs so one can assume that they showed themselfs before and it didn't work out because humans feared them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Karellen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Karellen   Karellen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Karellen
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion :: Novel and Story Discussion :: Childhood's End-
Jump to: