Literature of Science Fiction Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was Wed Dec 31, 1969.

>> Go to BlackboardHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords

Go down 
+5
emmanalo
Dya Cangiano
kevinlb
Denise
J.Castillo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
J.Castillo

1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords Empty
PostSubject: 1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords   1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 1:47 am

I loved the first reading. I find the story very entertaining. I myself was going crazy trying to figure out what Karellen looked like or was. I thought he might look like a spirit, or didn't even have a body. Unfortunately I've read ahead and I know what he is. Why do you guys think the overlords are "helping" Earth. Do you guys think they really just want to help. I don't think so, mainly because it would not make for a very entertaining story. What could there motives possibly be?
Back to top Go down
Denise

PostSubject: Re: 1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords   1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 2:33 am

I also find it strange that the Overlords are helping end conflicts among humans...it's too..nice of them if there wasn't an ulterior motive, you know?

What if the alien planet was dying and the only way to continue on their species was to mate with humans. Obviously, the aliens are so more advanced than humans (could possibly be really high class, who knows) and can only live among others that are at the same level. This would be a reason why they're helping humans... to prepare the lesser beings for the arrival of an entire dying colony!!!

I know, that's a bit farfetched, but I'm working on putting my brain into gear for the paper. hahahha
Back to top Go down
kevinlb

kevinlb

PostSubject: Re: 1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords   1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 9:03 am

This is Kevin, sorry about the name. Just use to putting this one when I sign up for these things.
Any ways, I loved the begining of the book. The 65 pages went by fast. it appeared to me, that the Overlords setting the Earth up for something. For exampe, when Karellen said that they had had failures in the past, and just wait and try again. This made me very suspicious. Question In addition, when Clark insterted the part about not coming to earth before, made my mind start racing through all the posssible creatures that are said to have exsited but no proof, like dragons, big foot, atlantis people... I too started to read ahead and would have finished if i hadn't gotten hungry and fell asleep afterwards. But i can tell from just that little bit more that the book will be interesting. bounce
Back to top Go down
Dya Cangiano

PostSubject: Re: 1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords   1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 12:03 pm

I agree that the Overlord's intentions seem suspicious. No matter how benevolent anyone may act, there is always something that motivates them, and its usually their own self interest. Childhood's End is really interesting to me, probably because it was written back in the 50s but the subject matter is still relevant to our society today. Just another example of how science fiction can intertwine the future and technology with real life socio-political situations I guess Smile Anyway, can't wait to see where the story goes
Back to top Go down
emmanalo

PostSubject: Re: 1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords   1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 2:52 pm

I read a tad bit ahead as well to find out what Karellen looked like. Not what I was expecting... at all.

They obviously do have ulterior motives. If you read the part where Karellen reveals some of the plans to Stormgen it says this is only the first phase of their plan. As far as what it actually might be... I'm baffled.

Bringing in religion (since it was mentioned a few times in the book), what I heard once a while back in my elementary school days was that the devil tried tempting several beings on different planets and earth was the one that failed. I think it's a similar concept to Karellen saying that they failed before.
Back to top Go down
djhull

PostSubject: Re: 1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords   1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 3:27 pm

It seemed a bit to me that Karellen was eluding to the fact that the Overlords had possibly tried this same thing earlier in human history. Maybe they had tried with the Egyptians. This could have been one of their failures. They did what they said they usually do, "Wait - and try again."
Back to top Go down
spleahy

PostSubject: Re: 1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords   1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 4:29 pm

I just love this concept. I must admit that I believe in E.T. life forms and the idea of them coming to Earth both scares and intrigues me. I find it amusing that they would care about the turmoil on Earth. I just don't feel our society is significant enough in this universe.
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: 1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords   1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 4:35 pm

This book is much more entertaining than Earthsea.
Back to top Go down
jmbuehler

PostSubject: Re: 1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords   1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 9:07 pm

I liked Earthsea, but I also find this book more entertaining and also a little bit more interactive. There are so many unanswered questions that really make the reader theorize and speculate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords   1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1st Reading, Earth and the Overlords
Page 1 of 1