Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was .

>> Go to BlackboardHomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Interesting similarity...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jmbuehler

PostSubject: Interesting similarity...   Thu May 29, 2008 10:51 pm

I'm watching Lost right now, and they totally ripped off Snow Crash! There's all this C4 on the rescue boat, and the bad guy's got the detonator wired into him or something...it monitors his heart rate, so if he were to die, the boat goes BOOM! I wonder if the writers got this idea from Raven and the nuke wired into his brain....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Multi

PostSubject: Re: Interesting similarity...   Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:13 pm

Hey, it's not the first of its kind. In Shadow of the Hegemon, Achilles says he has explosives that are wired to his heart that will blow up if he dies. The idea isn't too highly original. Lots of people have come up with it.

In my book, the walkers always explode when they take critical damage. Kamakaze always makes for a whole other level of fighting.

View user profile
Andrea F

PostSubject: Re: Interesting similarity...   Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:28 pm

omg, your right. I have been watching and reading so much stuff I didn't notice that till now. Or maybe I noticed, but it decided to just float around in the back of my head for a few days first. Luckilly for Hiro, and for the rest of the futuristic world, Raven is a lot harder to kill than that marine guy.

It is a common idea, ( and Sawyer supposeofly had something checking his heart rate and threatening to explode way back in the something-th season) But it is fun to see the parallel so closely together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
djhull

PostSubject: Re: Interesting similarity...   Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:52 pm

I think a lot of ideas from the books we've read have been ripped off in one form or another. The movie Indepence Day ripped off the giant space ships hovering over major cities. The only exception was that these aliens were bad. This only one example. It only reinforced that there are no more origional stories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
btexpress

PostSubject: Re: Interesting similarity...   Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:28 pm

I remember this same thing happened in a Spawn movie. The bad guy would release a poison gas that would kill everyone if his heartbeat stopped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting similarity...   

Back to top Go down

Interesting similarity...
Page 1 of 1