Literature of Science Fiction Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was Wed Dec 31, 1969.

>> Go to BlackboardHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How Close Are We?

Go down 
+8
amandaheise
jmbuehler
kevinlb
Multi
TheDirector
aitokunaga
spleahy
J.Castillo
12 posters
AuthorMessage
J.Castillo

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 11:29 pm

We see Hiro entering the Metaverse and all the things he can
do there. Do you guys think we will ever have our equivalent of the Metaverse?
We have "WOW" and there are a large amount of people that pay to use
it. It seems similar to the Metaverse; people have clans and have their own
characters. The only difference is that we can experience "WOW"
through a computer screen. As soon as we develop goggles similar to Hiro's
we'll be even closer. People already spend a lot of time on WOW as it is. So
how close are we to a Metaverse?
Back to top Go down
spleahy

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:04 am

I feel that we are a lot closer than many people think. Look at it this way: many video game companies, like Nintendo for example, are very committed to making virtural reality a reality. With the wii gamers can be more emersed in what they are playing than they ever could have before. Once the technology advances to the next level of game play I feel that being fully imersed in a game is completely possible. Add the increasing depth of role playing games like WOW and-viola-you've got yourself one heck of a gaming experience.
Back to top Go down
aitokunaga

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:59 am

They even have a Exercise Wii or whatever it's called that's coming out soon.
About the Metaverse thing--do some people go in and get so engrossed in it that they never come out, even to eat or sleep in the real world? THat would be very scary.
Back to top Go down
TheDirector

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 8:54 am

And there is Second Life

John Edlund
Back to top Go down
Multi

Multi

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 9:10 am

YES!! I'll get started on my second life right away! If you guys don't see me in class, call an ambulance!

Just kidding! That's amazing though. I mean I knew about all of the online and gaming communities people join. I never knew that they had something like Second Life...
Back to top Go down
kevinlb

kevinlb

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 9:43 am

I believe that once we develope virtual technology that can be used in the gaming industry, and that everyone can get it, we will have something like the Metaverse. We are close with all the online gaming that millions participate in. But I feel once the fact of being able to see the world and characters in your own eyes persay, that will be the point of no return. Second life has really exploded in some areas. I know of people who are millionairs in the game, and even heard and seen on T.V. of people who have made millions in real life off of the things they do in the game(if you call it a game). I think this is where the game has become the persons life, not just a "second" one. Their work consists of working in the game not reality. All i can say is that when virtual mixes wtih reality, we are going to see things that we never thought would happen, good or bad.
Back to top Go down
jmbuehler

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:37 pm

Second Life! I remember hearing about that on an episode of The Office. I now must ask you all to watch this hilarious clip: click here!
Back to top Go down
Multi

Multi

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 3:06 pm

very funny!!
Back to top Go down
amandaheise

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 12:56 pm

When i read about the Metaverse it reminds me of someone playing something similar to the Sims. I think it someday we could have something close to the Metaverse and I think it would be cool to be able to meet and interact with people all over the world in some kind of internet world
Back to top Go down
J.Castillo

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 11:33 pm

I think I'm going to start a Second life just to see how it is. I wonder how this will turn out. They actually call it the Metaverse and they have communities you can join such as the Ben and Jerry's community. All the communities seem to be sponsored by different companies.
Back to top Go down
Stephen

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 11:58 pm

The idea is certainly here right now, with Second Life, etc. but the technology isn't quite here yet. We don't have anything like the librarian yet, unfortunately. Then again, there is development going on in the area of pf these "personal agents" and I think that such a thing could definitely exist in the future.
Back to top Go down
spleahy

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 10:00 am

I think it's a scary thought to think about a Metaverse existing. So many people would be absorbed in the world and it would make it hard to unplug one's self from it.
Back to top Go down
aitokunaga

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 2:27 am

Sounds like the Spy Kids 3-D movie. (yes, I watched it, and yes, it was dumb)
The kids plug into the game and can't come out--they're stuck there until someone wins the game...and I forgot the rest of the storyline.
Back to top Go down
emmanalo

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 11:23 pm

I also heard about Second Life but never really tried it out. I did hear about advertising, lawyers, and businesses making transactions in Second Life.

When I first read him mention the Metaverse, I instantly thought of WoW. People can spend countless hours plugged into that and they definitely make friends and personalize their characters as if they were themselves.
Back to top Go down
Multi

Multi

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 7:48 am

Actually, since this thread has been created, I've gone a made an account on Second Life. Its all true what they say about it. It can be addicting because there are so many people out there to talk to. You can just walk up and overhear someone's conversation. You can also mess with a bunch of sliders to change your avatar's appearance. Then you can make things for your clothing also. They have their own currency there, which you can get by donating, filling out surveys, camping (sitting in a world to add to the traffic and make the world higher on the search list), or getting a job.

People actually rent space on Second Life to advertise, or sell their own creations. I have a tank (Tiger I from WWII) that I want to sell.
How Close Are We? N1035466967_30081096_9566

I live in a public sandbox, so there is always random stuff floating around that people are building. Hehe, there is a such thing as a hobo in Second Life!
Back to top Go down
btexpress

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 10:46 pm

I just don't see the allure of a metaverse. It would only allure me for videogames.

The Metaverse in the story seemed lame as the only senses used were sight and hearing. It also seemed inefficient that you had to travel. It needed a search engine.

the Metaverse would be better if you would plug into it like the Matrix, so that you experienced all the senses and it seemed real.
Back to top Go down
Wind

Wind

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 2:09 am

btexpress wrote:
the Metaverse would be better if you would plug into it like the Matrix, so that you experienced all the senses and it seemed real.

Sounds like reality to me, pal.

But.

If we could "plug" ourselves into a different world where all our senses worked as well as in reality, and this alternate universe required you to "plug" yourself back into reality to get back to it, then -

o.o

*backs slowly out of topic*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How Close Are We? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Close Are We?   How Close Are We? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Close Are We?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion :: Novel and Story Discussion :: Snow Crash-
Jump to: