Literature of Science Fiction Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was Wed Dec 31, 1969.

>> Go to BlackboardHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dream machines!

Go down 
+6
Andrea F
Vicente
btexpress
emmanalo
jmbuehler
Wind
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Wind

Wind

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 9:06 pm

What if we invented a machine - a helmet or something - that induced lucidity while dreaming? Or what if we could record our dreams for later viewing? Or both?

I might make this into my individual story, now that I'm thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
jmbuehler

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:59 pm

Cool. I really like your idea of a machine that can record dreams. It would definitely help me out - I barely, if ever, remember any of my dreams.
Back to top Go down
emmanalo

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Interesting idea. I try to remember some of my weird dreams, but not the nightmares. However, what would the purpose of viewing dreams later be?
Back to top Go down
Wind

Wind

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 7:45 pm

Psychiatric treatment, maybe?

People trying to obtain natural lucidity?

Psychiatric treatment sounds good, actually. hm.
Back to top Go down
btexpress

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 5:10 pm

I'm pretty sure a person can induce lucidity themselves if they know the techniques. It's not perfect, but I know if you record dreams, you'll start to remember more. This site, http://www.dreamviews.com/ , is all about lucid dreaming if you want to learn more.

Recording dreams for later viewing would be really cool
Back to top Go down
Vicente

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 1:37 am

On the psychiatric treatment note - what if we invented a machine that allowed us to enter other people's dreams? Doctors could establish and develop disturbingly thorough-slash-intimate treatment methods.
Back to top Go down
jmbuehler

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 12:22 pm

Interesting idea. And what if this machine fell into the wrong hands, for instance? A person's true fears, hopes, weaknesses, etc. would be exploited.

That website is pretty interesting as well. The whole idea about being completely lucid while dreaming is slightly creepy, and I think a really good story could come out of it!
Back to top Go down
Andrea F

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm

the question then becomes, are there some dreams people dont want to remember. People tell of living nightmares, of experiences that haunt them, but what about those repeating nightmares...would you have to face these nightmares to end them? or would facing them cause you to go crazy...
Back to top Go down
Wind

Wind

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Wow, nice o.o

This is going places.

It could go a step further, where some recurring nightmare is causing mental instability in a particular person. He can choose to use the machine to confront the nightmare, but he runs the risk of losing himself in the process if he fails in resolving the problem source.
Back to top Go down
amandaheise

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 1:12 am

I love this idea expecially because alot of my dreams are cooler then my real life. This also kind of reminds me of an episode of American Dad where the father puts his family in simulators to make they believe they are taking a vacation. I think a dream machine would be even better if we could program it to dream about things we would like to happen but then people would probably just want to dream all day.
Back to top Go down
Multi

Multi

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 8:09 am

We already have a sort of "dream machine." Video games aren't only cooler than real life, but you interact with them too. I think the dream machines are a really cool idea. Maybe you guys could some people could form a group authorship on this. It seems like everyone's reluctant to do a group project though because they could just write something themselves. Rolling Eyes

I bet the dream machine would have to be something you could wear over your eyes or something. A helmet wouldn't really work because it would be too uncomfortable. Remember the person's going to be spending all night with this thing on. Also, it shouldn't come off if you roll over. Even when I'm not asleep I roll over because I can only go to sleep if I'm comfortable enough. So perhaps this machine is something small enough that you can wear it over your eyes? scratch Smile
Back to top Go down
Andrea F

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 11:33 pm

What about a device that can be attached to the sides of your temples, like those mental redgister things or those heart rate moniters... a simple stick on device, either by adhesive tape/bandage type thing they have in hospitals or by suction cups. wow...now it sounds kinda silly written out here, but you guys get what I mean?

The hemet or eye cover thing would be more effective for reviewing similar to watching a movie. My suggestion might work for making dreams more like acutal memories. And how would this actually work? Would it be like some type of chemical reaction? Or would these devices some how actually connect with our brains, like through our eye socket some how(painful!), or through an operation and a plug in....etc. This could be a painful thing...making it a deterant for many people, or an expensive thing that only an elete rich and daring few would have.
Back to top Go down
emmanalo

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 2:44 pm

As far as programming your dreams... have any of you watched "Vanilla Sky" with Tom Cruise or the original "Abre los Ojos"? That movie is basically about living out your desired dreams, but of course in a convoluted way as Hollywood takes things.
Back to top Go down
spleahy

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 4:34 pm

I think that would be awesome. I have so many dreams that I want to share with others so they could evaluate them. Good Idea!
Back to top Go down
Multi

Multi

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Wind wrote:
I might make this into my individual story, now that I'm thinking about it. -Wind

Hey!! confused I aren't your going to do the group story??? Or are you like me going everywhere and writing everything people will let you write???
Back to top Go down
Wind

Wind

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 9:51 pm

Depends.
Back to top Go down
Multi

Multi

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 1:19 pm

So have you already started this story Question Suspect
Back to top Go down
Wind

Wind

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 10:30 am

To be honest, no =D I plan to write out a few more super-short stories before actually starting the one I want to turn in.
Back to top Go down
emmanalo

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 8:35 pm

so since we're at the end of the quarter, did you decide on writing about this yet?
Back to top Go down
Wind

Wind

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 9:26 pm

I really want to - I'm in *love* with the dream theme.

You're right, it's the end of the quarter and I've already turned in my paper.

But, hey, since the board isn't being taken down or anything, we're still free to write stuff and post here, aren't we >=)
Back to top Go down
djhull

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 12:16 am

for sure keep writing over summer. Im interested to see where you take this story
Back to top Go down
Wind

Wind

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 12:18 am

Fair enough. Just make sure you're around to read it!
Back to top Go down
djhull

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 4:18 pm

no doubt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dream machines! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream machines!   Dream machines! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream machines!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literature of Science Fiction Discussion :: The Story Factory :: "What If?" Questions-
Jump to: