Literature of Science Fiction Discussion

Hello Guest, post comments on readings from class or story ideas. Your last visit was .

>> Go to BlackboardHomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Finished reading!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jmbuehler

PostSubject: Finished reading!   Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:59 pm

Has anyone else finished the book and care to discuss it with me?

I really enjoyed the story, especially it's resolution at the very end. The true name of the shadow totally blindsighted me, which I now find hilarious, because the answer was right in front of me all along. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wind

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:01 pm

I would have liked to see more rivalry scenes. Rivalries are always fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:47 pm

I was really into the story until the end, where I was kind of like, "well, that was a little anticlimactic" because the whole story was building and building up to this big thing, and then everything is all over in about 4 pages.
that's just my opinion, though. Don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy the story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Umbrangelus

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:53 pm

Yeah but who could have truly rivaled Ged? It was quiet obvious he had more power than anyone realized (including himself) and when he did, he unleashed power without wisdom. I guess it is a caution to all people saying "Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should."

I really liked the story. It only made since that the shadow was also Ged because when someone uses magic, they must put a portion of themselves in the magic to make it work. You saw this when the first Archmage died trying to protect Ged because he put so much of himself into it that he was lost. When he tried to someone Elfarran from the dead, he overextended himself into the world of the dead and of shadows and a fragment of himself, the portion he used to cast the spell, became part of the shadow. What I didn't get was where the Ged's fought in the middle of the sea. It sounds like a portal into the shadow realm. How did shadow Ged plan on escaping? How did real Ged figure it out?

I have to agree with Alice on this one. The story possed a lot of new questions in the last 4 pages and never resolved them. But it was a great book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Is it me or did this novel seem a bit boring at times?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jmbuehler

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:01 pm

Haha I think it's just a matter of preference. I thought it was mostly engaging and interesting, for what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dya Cangiano

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:07 pm

I actually dozed off while reading the first chapter. After that though I found the book really interesting and engaging, especially the twist to the resolution at the end. I was a bit disappointed in the sudden way that characters like Jasper and the Otak just kind of disappeared from the story. I think they both deserved more closure in the story line, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:29 pm

lol. i dozed off too in the beginning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrea F

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:52 pm

I liked it, especially the scene in the end. Maybe it was just me, but i could visualize that whole sceen in my head... with Ged and his shadow walking towards eachother, the shadow shapeshifting, etc. I do agree, though, that it ended abruptly. I was expecing the book to end in a cliff hanger with so few pages left. All that build up for such a simple answer. The best hiding places are the ones in plain sight...or something like that.

There were also 2 parallels that I did not see comming. One was the fog in both the begining fight and later on the sea. Second, which just came to me now, was how the first Archmage protected Ged, in essence protecting Ged from himself, from his pride, his shadow. Just as Ogion tries to protect him from his pride in the very begining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Denise

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:52 am

Dozed off?!?!? I thought it was captivating and I couldn't put the book down! I really love fantasy books though, so it's awesome that we get to read this for a Sci-Fi class! It's really borderline on the fantasy/sci-fi genre though.

The concepts of the novel are better explained than Harry Potter, but don't get me wrong..I love the HP books too. This one just had a more realistic feel to it. I can't wait to find the series to watch them. :]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spleahy

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Yeah I agree that the concepts were explained better than in Harry Potter. I just laughed at how similar it was to Harry Potter. HP really ripped off wizard of Earthsea IMO. I feel that Harry potter was a bit more engaging though. W of E's language just isn't very exciting honestly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aik Roy Heng

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:31 pm

I do not like this book at all. Character development is totally abysmal, and the characters in the book are boring, flat and rather 1 dimensional. I am used to reading fantasy books which are stretched out in a series of 4-5 books, and this one really rather disappoints me. I think that Ogion and the Archmage characters could have been fleshed out more. The plot is straightforward and to simple, essentially boy is born with talent, boy screws up, boy mends errors and his ways, and that is IT! No elaboration, no humor at all........the dialogue is boring and flat, dry with no wit. It's as if le Guin included them just for the sake of having them there......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wind

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:51 pm

I loved it. Sure, it's a bit old fashioned, but it was almost like reading from a history book straight out of a fantasy world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
btexpress

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:13 pm

I have seen this formula used so many times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:36 am

How does this quote button work?

Well anyway, Denise, when you said. "I can't wait to find the series to watch them," did you mean W of E? Because according to Le Guin, the Sci-Fi channel series totally, completely messed her books up (and I honestly am just paraphrasing. She wrote articles protesting the series).

I kind of want to see it, too, just for the fun of it. I want to see how off it is. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDirector

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:33 am

By the way, here is Le Guin's website:

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/

Interesting stuff there!

John Edlund
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrea F

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:39 pm

I got to see the mini series of scifi channel's Earthsea, but it was years ago and I cant say how close it was. I think it was loosely based on the earthsea world, with characters from this first book as well as the second book at least.... so if it doesnt match the novels exactly, why not count it as a 4th possible novel... i would need to see it again to compair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theophania

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:07 pm

I actually liked the book throughout and enjoyed how Le Guin revisited elements in the beginning of the novel in the end as well. I like the language that Le Guin uses and the overall story (though I must admit I fell asleep during the middle of the book...'cause it was land, water, land, water, fight, water, land...). I wasn't that fond of the rushed ending, however. Ged goes on an Odyssey and discovers himself and learns important lessons--- I do agree that was formulaic, but I like fantasy novels where the created world is very real to the reader. I am one of those people that follow along with the maps and I kept flipping to them after she described a location.

Harry Potter...haha, if you read the wikipedia article about Rowling's books, A Wizard of Earthsea is an analogue.
Quote :
Le Guin has claimed that she doesn't feel Rowling "ripped her off", but that she felt that the books were overpraised for supposed originality, and that Rowling "could have been more gracious about her predecessors.
Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_influences_and_analogues#A_Wizard_of_Earthsea

I went to UKL's website and found that there was another movie made about Earthsea after the disappointing miniseries. Many fans of the books were very upset with how the books were depicted in film. The other movie is Gedo Senki (Tales of Ged), a Japanese anime and if you guys know Miyazaki who made Spirited Away, the movie is by his son.
aitokunaga wrote:
How does this quote button work?
You can either click the "quote" button to the top-right of the post you want to quote, or write in: [ quote ] Write quote here...[ /quote ], but without the spaces. Or if you go to the expanded 'post a reply' page, there is a button that has two little talk bubbles, and you just slect the text you want quoted and click on that button.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.csupomona.edu/~tiffanyychen/stream/
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:05 pm

Quote :
Quote :
You can either click the "quote" button to the top-right of the post you want to quote, or write in: [ quote ] Write quote here...[ /quote ], but without the spaces. Or if you go to the expanded 'post a reply' page, there is a button that has two little talk bubbles, and you just slect the text you want quoted and click on that button.

thanks Theophania!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:08 pm

hmmm didn't work out like it's supposed to...I think I did the [ quote ]thing once too many...oh well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J.Castillo

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:16 pm

Although a little late on this comment, I really liked this book. I thought it was very enjoyable to read. I see people's point with the lack of character development, but I don't think it detracted from the book too much. The only thing I didn't like is that I didn't see the friendship between Ged and Vetch as very strong. It was implied that it was, but I wish we could have seen one event that showed how their friendship started.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amandaheise

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:08 am

I liked this reading I just felt like i didnt have enough time to read it. I felt it was a very basic story and I could see how it could be ment for a younger generation. I didn't like all the islands and maps because that got very confusing. I had a really hard time reading the last chapter, maybe because I was rushed, but I could not picture it at all. Aside from those things I really liked it and saw alot of similarities between it and Harry Potter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Denise

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:36 am

Hm...I guess I shouldn't be surprised..movies/tv series always butcher novel masterpieces.. even for Harry Potter..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aitokunaga

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:00 pm

J.Castillo wrote:
The only thing I didn't like is that I didn't see the friendship between Ged and Vetch as very strong. It was implied that it was, but I wish we could have seen one event that showed how their friendship started.

It sounds like it might have been a little like a Frodo/Sam kind of relationship. I agree with you that it would have been nice to see more of the Ged/Vetch friendship, not just how they became friends but of their time at school and afterwards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finished reading!   

Back to top Go down

Finished reading!
Page 1 of 1